Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Cloemarrie's Family Traditions



Our authors tirelessly donate their time and talents every year, creating stories to fill the compilation as a thank you to everyone who donates. Since we have been doing more posts this year, we thought it would be fun if they shared some of their family holiday traditions. Today, we feature a little bit of how author cloemarrie's family spent their Christmases when she was growing up.

    Thinking back to my childhood age and the Christmases we’ve had always makes me smile. Even though my dad is no longer with us, those were some of the happier times we’ve had. Every year my dad made sure we had a good Christmas no matter if we had the extra money or not, because he cared that much.

    Every year for Christmas we had a big feast; my dad’s feast. He’d cook and my mom baked. My dad always made a turkey, ham, homemade stuffing (not this stovetop), mashed potatoes and gravy (homemade not instant), potato salad (homemade not store bought). You name it, we had it. My mom would bake at least eight pumpkin and sweet potato pies, banana pudding, cookies, lemon meringue pie, and cakes. We would have juice and my parents would have champagne.

    When we got older, about middle school age, my dad started a new tradition and that was popcorn and chocolate covered cherries. Him and my mom, every year, would buy each one of us kids a can (those big tin cans you get at Wal-mart, the ones with the three different flavors in it) of popcorn and a box of chocolate covered cherries. We looked forward to that every year.

    During Christmas we also would play Christmas music and, of course, we’d sing along. We also would tell stories and games.



Oh cloemarrie! Thank you so much for sharing!  Simple traditions seem to be those we make the fondest memories from. 

One thing that seems to be almost universal to Christmas is the idea that parents want their kids to remember them as happy times, no matter how simple they are, and no matter how difficult things might be the rest of the year.  I know for us, it was always a wonder to me how, even when I knew money was tighter than tight, the biggest wish on my Christmas list always made it under the tree. 

It wasn't until I became a parent myself that I realized how important giving was to parents. To see your children's faces light up, to know that, even for that small moment in time, the problems in the world could be let go, and wishes could come true. 


There is only two weeks left to donate. 

Won't you help us make some wishes come true? 

We are a long way from our goal, but every little bit makes a difference. 


No comments:

Post a Comment